With UCAS applications complete and offers rolling in, it’s time to focus on the next stage of university preparation – finance. The Outreach team have created a top 5 handy pointers guide for your students.
The process can seem daunting for students, but there’s no need to fear if they’ve got the right advice.
Give them a hand with these pointers:
- Know your loans – With a Tuition Fee Loan, you can borrow enough to cover the full cost of your course; this is paid directly to the institution where you study. A Maintenance Loan helps with your living costs; the amount you can borrow depends on your circumstances but, if you’re moving away from home (but not to London) for 2017-18, you could be eligible for up to £8,430.*
- Apply early – Get your online application completed as soon as possible to ensure your money arrives on time. Don’t worry if you haven’t accepted a place yet – you can update your details later.
- Stay safe – Never post personal information on social media sites and know how to spot phishing emails. Remember that the Student Loans Company will never ask you to confirm bank details or log-in information via email.
- Consent to share – Tick the box to allow universities to view your details. Care leavers, parents, those from low-income households, or students with disabilities may be entitled to extra funding and can be assessed more quickly.
- Seek out extra support – Find out if you’re eligible for an additional bursary or scholarship by contacting your university or college. Visit our website to find out what we offer.
*See www.gov.uk/student-finance/new-fulltime-students for more information
Do your students need more of these tips? We can deliver a 45 minute Student Finance talk in your school or college, at a time to suit you. Alternatively, why not book a session with our ever-popular Mint or Skint board game or Last Week of Term activity to teach your students about the importance of effective budgeting?